Upcoming Walks Details and DWRG Information:
<<< Last updated: 11th June 2017 >>>
- Renewing your membership? There is an easy way which will save you having to re-enter all your details: Click here to use this simple renewal process!
- If you have not walked with us before and would like to see if our club is for you, please join us on a walk to meet some of our members (see details below):
- Friday 16.6.17 – Meet at 8.00 pm in the car park of the Skimmington Castle PH (TQ 237497) on Reigate Heath for a circular walk ending with drinks at the pub.
- Sunday 18.6.17 – The walk starts at 10.00 am from Finches Field picnic site and car park, Church Hill, West Hoathly (TQ 366326), south east of Crawley. Lunch will be at the Green Man pub, Horsted Keynes. Directions for the start point-coming from the north, turn sharp right at the Fox pub RH19 4PJ into Church Hill (unsigned) and the car park is a short distance on the right.
- Friday 23.6.17 – Start at 8.00 pm from the Inn on the Pond car park Merstham Nutfield Marsh Rd (TQ 302515), RH1 4EU, just six minutes down the road from Reigate Hill. You can park at the pub. Walk will take you around four lakes followed by drinks at pub afterwards.
- Saturday 24.6.17 – The walk starts at 9.45 am from Albury Heath sports ground, GU5 9DB (TQ 059469). The sports ground is off New Road, which is just off A25 Shere bypass. The walk takes us across fields and wooded areas to the top of St Martha’s Hill, then skirting just below Newlands Corner and across to Shere village for lunch at the White House pub. After lunch we will leave Shere (option of taking an ice cream with us from Shere ice cream shop) and walking above the village and back across to Albury Heath. The walk is approximately 8.5 miles long with some ups and downs with just one longer steep section to St Martha’s. Lunch is booked at 12.15pm, hence the prompt start at 9.45 am. There are areas for picnic lunch at Shere if preferred or the Dabbling Duck do a take away menu. Note the walk is on Saturday.
- Friday 30.6.17 – Start walking at 8.00 pm from Westcott Village Green (TQ 142485). The walk includes spectacular views from Ranmoor and the North Downs finishing in the Prince of Wales pub.
- Sunday 2.7.17 – Start at 10.00 am from the free car park behind the Plough Inn Ifield village near Crawley Sussex RH11 0NN (TQ 247376). A figure of eight walk (5.5 and 5.25 miles) with lunch at the Plough Inn, Ifield (Hall and Woodhouse with 4 beers on tap) or picnic in the field. Morning walk through Sussex countryside, Afternoon walk includes plane spotting opportunity at the end of Gatwick runway. You may like to bring a flask to take a break and enhance your plane spotting experience!
- Friday 7.7.17 – Meet to start walking at 8.00 pm from The Chequers, Chequers Lane, Walton-on-the-Hill (TQ 222551). An easy walk from Walton-on-the-Hill to Headley with good views across the North Downs, returning to The Chequers for drinks afterwards.
- Sunday 9.7.17 – Start 10.00 am from St Thomas’s Church, Corseley Road, Groombridge, TN3 9SF (TQ 530368). You may park at the C of E primary school next door or in the road if the car park is full. The walk follows the Sussex Border Path and High Weald Landscape Trail with plenty of interest on the way – Withyham and the tombs of the Earls of Dorset, the house built by William Penn, the Spa Valley railway, Harrison’s Rocks and other impressive outcrops. BRING A PICNIC LUNCH.
- Sunday 23rd July – DWRG Summer Barbecue – Members, do not forget to book your place at the summer barbecue on 23rd July. For details see the newsletter.
- Members can see details of our full walking programme on the ‘Members’ page of the DWRG website.
- Non-members can apply to join the DWRG for £5 per annum – see the ‘Join up’ section of the website. If you have any questions before you join, do feel free to contact Marianne, our Membership Secretary, using this Membership Enquiry Form. On the form please ensure that you provide sufficient details to enable Marianne to get back to you.
DWRG is an independent rambling and hill walking group aimed at people in their 30’s to 50’s and we also have long standing members in their 60’s. We encourage others to enjoy walking and you can become a member of this club for just £5 per annum entitling you to come on any of our walks. We have a day walk every Sunday (with a pub lunch) and evening walks on summer Friday evenings (May to September).
DWRG covers all its expenses through an income of £5 per person per year, including providing public liability insurance. You will see some great countryside and we stop for a pub lunch on Sundays to refresh for the afternoon walk. Be tempted to join us, we are recruiting right now. Our most popular activities are:
Sunday Walks – full day walks, over distances of 8 to 12 miles. Some are “figures of eight”, making it easy to walk just the morning or the afternoon. We always stop for a pub lunch and a drink or you can bring a picnic if you prefer to eat outside. Group size averages 8 to 15 people.
Weekend / Bank Holiday Trips in the UK– for coastal, moorland and mountain walking, using a variety of accommodation.
Friday Evening Walks from May to early September we go out for short evening walks to a country pub.
Please take time to look around our site. It is being developed as a home for all our photos and discussions. If you are interested in joining, it only takes a few minutes to complete an online application. Our membership secretary has created a How to Join page for you. Please also check out the Frequently Asked Questions.