Upcoming Walks Details and DWRG Information:
<<< Last updated: 18th February 2017 >>>
- Renewing your membership? There is an easy way which will save you having to re-enter all your details: Click here to use this simple renewal process!
- If you have not walked with us before and would like to see if our club is for you, please join us on a walk to meet some of our members (see details below):
- Sunday 19.2.17 – Start 10.00 am Milton Heath car park (TQ 155488). Morning walk takes in Squires Farm and Tilling Springs. Lunch at the Royal Oak (TQ 109444) in Holmbury St Mary. Afternoon walk through Pasture Wood, Abinger Common and Logmore Green. A hilly walk with some steep ascents.
- Sunday 26.2.17 – Meet 10.15 at the free car park at Winkworth Arboretum (SU 989412, Sat Nav reference GU8 4AD) which is located off the B2130 just outside Godalming. Please note that the car park does not open until 10.00. Nine mile walk predominantly through woodland but also heath and farmland as well as the two pretty picturesque Surrey villages of Hambledon and Hascombe. Lunch at The Merry Harriers, Hambledon which offers a varied menu. Option for tea at the end at The Arboretum.
- Sunday 5.3.17 – Start 10.00 am from the Bush Willows car park on Ashdown Forest, East Sussex (TQ 472303, TN22 3JD). The car park is just off the B2026 close to the junction with the B2188 (signposted to Groombridge). Should this car park be full the Pines car park is immediately opposite. The morning walk will see us cross Camp Hill and down to the Airman’s Grave. Lunch will be taken at the Foresters Arms in the village of Fairwarp (TQ 467265). The afternoon walk will see us climb back onto the Ashdown Forest passing Kings Standing then back to the car park.
- Sunday 12.3.17 – Figure of eight walk starting at 10.00 am from the Punchbowl Inn, Okewood Hill, near Ockley (TQ 134374 RH5 5PU). There is a lay-by opposite the pub where we can park. We will trace the old Roman road, Stane Street and the Sussex Border Path through delightful woodland and meadows. Lunch at a wonderful C17th pub at Walliswood, the Scarlet Arms (TQ 118381 RH5 5RD) with very good food and portions as well as good beer. In the afternoon we continue in a clockwise direction and follow the Yellow Brick Road passing old cottages and Okewood Church before returning to the start. The walk is mainly flat.
- Members can see details of our full walking programme on the ‘Members’ page of the DWRG website.
- Non-members can apply to join the DWRG for £5 per annum – see the ‘Join up’ section of the website. If you have any questions before you join, do feel free to contact Marianne, our Membership Secretary, using this Membership Enquiry Form. On the form please ensure that you provide sufficient details to enable Marianne to get back to you.
DWRG is an independent rambling and hill walking group aimed at people in their 30’s to 50’s and we also have long standing members in their 60’s. We encourage others to enjoy walking and you can become a member of this club for just £5 per annum entitling you to come on any of our walks. We have a day walk every Sunday (with a pub lunch) and evening walks on summer Friday evenings (May to September).
DWRG covers all its expenses through an income of £5 per person per year, including providing public liability insurance. You will see some great countryside and we stop for a pub lunch on Sundays to refresh for the afternoon walk. Be tempted to join us, we are recruiting right now. Our most popular activities are:
Sunday Walks – full day walks, over distances of 8 to 12 miles. Some are “figures of eight”, making it easy to walk just the morning or the afternoon. We always stop for a pub lunch and a drink or you can bring a picnic if you prefer to eat outside. Group size averages 8 to 15 people.
Weekend / Bank Holiday Trips in the UK– for coastal, moorland and mountain walking, using a variety of accommodation.
Friday Evening Walks from May to early September we go out for short evening walks to a country pub.
Please take time to look around our site. It is being developed as a home for all our photos and discussions. If you are interested in joining, it only takes a few minutes to complete an online application. Our membership secretary has created a How to Join page for you. Please also check out the Frequently Asked Questions.