Upcoming Walks Details and DWRG Information:
<<< Last updated: 6th April 2017 >>>
- Renewing your membership? There is an easy way which will save you having to re-enter all your details: Click here to use this simple renewal process!
- If you have not walked with us before and would like to see if our club is for you, please join us on a walk to meet some of our members (see details below):
- Saturday-Sunday 8-9.4.17 – Please notify Val or Jenny by this Friday if you intend to come on this weekend trip. See full details on the website. Saturday start 10.45am from Folkestone Central rail station (CT19 5HD, grid ref TR220362) walking to Dover where we stay overnight. On Sunday meet up outside Dover Priory Rail Station to begin a 9.5 mile walk to Deal. Connections by train.
- Sunday 9.4.17 – Start 9.45 am at Toys Hill car park (TQ 470518) for an exploration of Toys Hill, Mariners Hill and Ide Hill with extensive views of the Weald and North Downs. The morning’s walk (5 miles) takes us to rural Obriss Farm (Landmark Trust) and Mariner’s Hill returning via Chartwell and French Street. Lunch at the Fox and Hounds (TQ 470520), the highest pub in Kent. In the afternoon an easier walk (3.5 miles) takes us to Ide Hill, returning via Emmetts. Expect some climbing, 950 feet total ascent in the morning and 550 feet in the afternoon. Please contact John in advance if you intend to join at lunchtime.
- Sunday 16.4.17 – Easter Sunday
- Friday 21.4.17 – The first Friday evening walk of 2017. Meet 7.00pm at the car park adjacent to the Garden Centre on the A25 just east of Dorking (TQ 185503) for an ascent of Box Hill. Bring a torch! Drinks (and possibly a meal) afterwards at The Watermill which is a short distance (walking distance) along the A25 west of the start point.
- Saturday 22.4.17 – The walk will start at 10.30am from the entrance to Hampstead Heath railway station NW3 2QD. There is a train that runs from Clapham Junction to Hampstead Heath station at 9.46am, arriving at Hampstead Heath at 10.18am. So any walker could meet the leaders at Clapham Junction ( platform 1). The circular walk will take us around the streets of Hampstead, which are full of historical interest, then across Hampstead Heath to Kenwood House. After the walk there will be the option to visit Keats House or Fenton House ( National Trust). We will have lunch at Kenwood House or you are welcome to bring a picnic.
- Monday 1.5.17 – Those of you on our walk last year will remember that we were treated to tea and wonderful cakes at Lyne House by Chapel and invited to watch the Broadwood Morris Men perform their traditional Mayday dancing. The group is named after the family who owned Lyne House and the eponymous piano company. Being a bank holiday we shall just have a half day walk. We will start at 1.00pm from Lyne House RH5 5HQ grid ref 189385 and walk through the woods and fields to Rusper for late lunch at the Star pub. After lunch we will continue our circular rout back to Lyne House to watch the Morris Men dance at 5.00pm. The residents put on a spread for the dancers and we have been asked politely that if we attend we should bring contributions in the form of food and/or drink.
- Friday 5.5.17 – Meet 7.30pm at Well House Inn, Mugswell (TQ 258553) for a stroll around Mugswell and Upper Gatton Wood where there should be some bluebells. Return for a drink at the pub afterwards
- Members can see details of our full walking programme on the ‘Members’ page of the DWRG website.
- Non-members can apply to join the DWRG for £5 per annum – see the ‘Join up’ section of the website. If you have any questions before you join, do feel free to contact Marianne, our Membership Secretary, using this Membership Enquiry Form. On the form please ensure that you provide sufficient details to enable Marianne to get back to you.
DWRG is an independent rambling and hill walking group aimed at people in their 30’s to 50’s and we also have long standing members in their 60’s. We encourage others to enjoy walking and you can become a member of this club for just £5 per annum entitling you to come on any of our walks. We have a day walk every Sunday (with a pub lunch) and evening walks on summer Friday evenings (May to September).
DWRG covers all its expenses through an income of £5 per person per year, including providing public liability insurance. You will see some great countryside and we stop for a pub lunch on Sundays to refresh for the afternoon walk. Be tempted to join us, we are recruiting right now. Our most popular activities are:
Sunday Walks – full day walks, over distances of 8 to 12 miles. Some are “figures of eight”, making it easy to walk just the morning or the afternoon. We always stop for a pub lunch and a drink or you can bring a picnic if you prefer to eat outside. Group size averages 8 to 15 people.
Weekend / Bank Holiday Trips in the UK– for coastal, moorland and mountain walking, using a variety of accommodation.
Friday Evening Walks from May to early September we go out for short evening walks to a country pub.
Please take time to look around our site. It is being developed as a home for all our photos and discussions. If you are interested in joining, it only takes a few minutes to complete an online application. Our membership secretary has created a How to Join page for you. Please also check out the Frequently Asked Questions.